Sunday, April 22, 2012

Avocado Banana Ice Cream

I had friends coming over this evening who are being especially careful with their diets, and I am trying to get back on track to healthier eating for our family, so I felt inspired to give this recipe a try:
http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com/2011/05/vanilla-avocado-banana-ice-cream.html

It sounded a little crazy, but I've fed the baby avocado and banana together many times, and he's loved it, so I went for it.  I didn't end up quite following the recipe.  I wanted to go dairy-free because of one of the little girls who was coming, but I didn't have any soy or nut milk or anything in the house, so I thought I'd give coconut milk a try.
So, adjusted from the recipe, I used:
2 avocados
3 ripe bananas (cut into chunks and frozen ahead of time)
2 tsp vanilla
1 can of coconut milk
1 cup sugar (I'd be curious to play around with this a bit more.  The end product tasted really good but would be even healthier if this was cut or replaced with something.)

Then, just followed the directions she mentioned and put them all in a blender, and I had "ice cream."  To be clear, as a person unhealthily attached to ice cream, it really needs to have a slightly different expectation, but it was creamy and yummy and a satisfying and healthy dessert!

No comments: