Sunday, July 6, 2008

Humbling Moments

I am getting really large these days, and it has been humbling to feel my energy fading! I really packed a lot of events for my work at the church into July because I was (rather naively) thinking, Well, as long as I have things pretty clear by early August (due date is the 19th), that should be fine, right? I am teaching a class at the church for a summer series we have, and it ends July 29. I've had a lot of people come up and ask me, What are you thinking?! Well, I was thinking, I've never done this before! How should I know any better?! Not to mention that I come from a family of people on both sides who never retire and probably cooked three full meals after helping in the field the day they gave birth! Ok, so maybe an exaggeration, but point being, I don't come from a long line of people who know how to just "take it easy."
Anyway, I've had to face some of the limitations on my energy this week, but an even more humbling moment came on Saturday. I had gone for a walk Friday morning and felt my toes poking and rubbing and thought, Oh, I probably need to trim by toenails; it's been awhile. So, Saturday morning when I was getting ready to walk again, I went into the bathroom to cut my toenails only to discover that I can't actually reach them well enough to accomplish such a task!!!
So, I rather sheepishly called out to John that I needed some help (which I think scared him for a moment considering the room I was calling from!), and my dear husband helped me out with this task, which I don't imagine you really foresee yourself ever needing to help another adult complete. He's awfully good to me! And, I suppose it is a good lesson for me overall because it is hard to be too stubbornly self-sufficient when you need assistance to cut your own toenails! :)

No comments: