Sunday, January 22, 2012

Joy Dare
January 16
19.  A long uninterrupted nap and shower--I'm learning to accept gifts as unearned acts of generosity.
20.  The delight on my boys' faces when they were delivering chocolates to me--Don't get me wrong, I loved the chocolates, too, but the excitement of my older one to give me a special present, and the adorable grin of the baby while he held (and munched on) two chocolates in a small wrapped package were all the gifts I could have asked for!
21.  A conversation with my husband about totally random interesting things--It seems rare lately that we have (or at least take) the time just to have a conversation that isn't related to our home, parenting, or functioning as a family; it was a refreshing time just to enjoy each other.

January 17
22.  Parenting my boys made me pray.  I am so thankful and so humbled by the opportunity to parent these two amazing gifts, and sometimes I feel fear creep in when it doesn't seem to be going well, and I have to remember over and over and over again that God is greater in their lives than I am.  So I pray.
23.  An unlikely gift, but I'm thankful and laughing at the poop in the potty today!  We hit a stretch where it was being avoided, and today, not only did he go, but he was delighted with himself and proceeded to describe what each piece looked like!
24.  We are starting a series as a whole congregation around the book Emotionally Healthy Spirituality.  I have only finished the first chapter so far, but it draws me back again to this journey that God is pressing me on to let Him transform the deep parts of me and not just try to manage and control and clean up the surface.

January 18
25. 2 Corinthians 12:9  It seems to be the verse I am wrapping my heart and soul around in this season to truly believe and walk in faith that "His grace is sufficient" and that His strength is made perfect in weakness!
26.  Jesus shares the two greatest commandments...LOVE!  Love Him.  Love others.  I want to center my life and family and my home around this!!!  So simple and yet so challenging!
27.  Bible stories with my son at night--I am thankful for the chance to share these with my little boy and that he looks forward to them and asks about them and engages them, and I trust God's promise that His word will not return void.

January 19
28. I had been starting to not feel very well, and I woke up in the middle of the night during one of the baby's rough stretches feeling really, really awful.  I thought about the next morning and had the hope that maybe my husband could take half a day off of work so that I could go in to see the doctor.  A major struggle for me that God is really pressing me on is to admit I need help and to accept it.  The next morning before I said anything, John suggested taking a half day off so that he could take Isaiah to the museum, which Isaiah had been so looking forward to.  In spite of that huge blessing, I still had to fight the impulse in myself to say no and suggest that I just figure out a way to handle the day, but thankfully, I accepted.  It was so needed and such a blessing that I nearly missed, but I am so thankful for the little steps of walking more fully in God's grace for me!
29.  Time to just sit and smile with my baby
30.  A slow, unrushed walk with my boys, noticing leaves and signs and flowers and grass and tree bark and little gifts in our little urban corner.

January 20
31.  My son's excitement to be able to pick out library books and the pleasure of watching him get engrossed in "reading" them
32.  Ice cream treats
33.  A sweet and trusted babysitter for the boys who loves on them and navigates even tricky times gracefully

January 21
34.  My boys' affection for each other
35.  My baby's delight at faces and people
36.  The fabric store--It is fun to choose the pieces for a project for my son with him, but it also reminds me of the many times of carefully choosing patterns and fabric, a treasured outing with my mama at least once a year as she patiently taught me to sew.
37.  Discovering a video, as I sorted through last year's, of my son holding my baby on his first day home

January 22
38.  Loving parents who delight in being involved in my children's lives and invest so much to do that across the distance
39.  Quiet home tonight
40.  My son's enthusiasm about meals lately:  "This is a yummy, yummy meal, Mom!"
41.  Blogs of many amazing women that I've discovered lately that inspire, encourage, and speak truth
42.  Sitting quietly together with John, both reading


No comments: