Friday, November 21, 2008

Counsel

There is a difference between advice and counsel. Advice is someone telling you what you should do, and I think is often based on little else beyond opinion. Counsel offers insight into your situation and wisdom about life; it is guiding and points you toward wise principles beyond just the current decision.
For counsel, I am so very grateful. For advice, not so much. West Los Angeles has a mostly younger demographic, and I often feel a loss and longing to be surrounded by wisdom that is gained by those who have walked through more of life and who have faithfully seen the hand of God through many seasons. Most of the parenting and life "resources" (books, classes, support groups, etc.) here feel like they are from people who have barely gained more experience or perspective than I have myself and who haven't even seen the fruit of their theories play out.
I am so thankful today (always, really, but am thinking of it especially today) for my friend Rebecca out here. She has walked through more of life than I have. She has sought and continues to seek the fullness of God in her life and in the life of her family. She shares principles and truth about life and wisdom gained from walking through seasons of life. When I talk about life with her, I feel such encouragement and peace about not only what is at hand but what lies ahead. God is faithful. And, I'm especially thankful for those He works through to give wise counsel!

1 comment:

Jen Bontrager said...

God bless Rebecca and others like her. I count myself fortunate to be quite surrounded with "counseling women."
P.S. Passed by Gary and signs for Valpo last week on our way to and from Canada- and thought of you and your family.