Sunday, June 15, 2008

Recurring Insanity



So, I often get these ideas/projects in my head that I think will be so great and not really that big to carry out. I don't know why I think they won't be huge because they always are!
I had a busy week this week with a lot going on, but we had some friends getting married this weekend, and they had decided to have a cake contest for their reception instead of the traditional cake, so of course, I thought this would be a great idea for me to participate in. And, of course, I had a vision. Well, having had such a busy week, I finally convinced myself of one compromise to make both parts of my cake the same instead of trying to pull off two different recipes as well. So, I was feeling rather proud of setting a limit for myself. :) Clearly, still not moving back into the realm of realistic expectation, though, as the cake probably took a total of about 7 hours! Thought I'd at least show the fruits of my labor with these photos. The groom is a sound engineer, and both of them actually do sound mixing at our young adult service at church, so it is supposed to be a little sound guy with headphones at a sound board. (The teal was one of their wedding colors.)
Now, don't get me wrong. It was fun. I do enjoy it. I think it reminds me of my Grandma Nila to make cakes and things like this. And, I did win the contest! :) It's just that maybe next time I will not try to cram one more "little" project into an already hectic week. It's seems doubtful, though, that I've learned my lesson. I never do.

5 comments:

Marah Jean said...

That cake is AWESOME!!! I had no idea you were such a culinary artist!!!

Jen Bontrager said...

I love it, Rach! Could you make a backhoe cake for Jesse's birthday? :)

John Snowden said...

She failed to mention that she WON the contest and $150 gift certificate resulted in a $100 net earnings from the process...so I'd say nice work at $14/hour!

Gary and Gwen said...

Grandma would be so proud! and so am I.
Mama

Pam said...

This cake is so creative. Grandma would love it. Your schedule sounds like Grandma as well... trying to cram one more thing in for people she cared about! Congrats on winning the contest! Thanks for jogging a warm memory of Grandma.
Pam