Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Within My Cupboard

So, I have undertaken a project to organize and clean our apartment. I have been purging our dwelling of all unnecessary items, mapping out a plan for organization, and have grand visions of an efficient and spotless Snowden home. I have accepted the current disaster in our apartment as part of the process, and I was starting to feel pretty good about my commitment to a tidier home. I have always been an overcommitted type-A person who has faced the reality that not everything in life can be in perfect order, and the place where that has played out is in my home. Well, now I have determined to tame this unruly area of my life bringing all things to the standard of efficiency and structure I long for.

With my head in the clouds of my dreams for a brighter tomorrow for the Snowden apartment, I noticed a funny smell in the cupboard under the sink yesterday. As I got closer, I realized there was nothing funny about it! Upon further investigation, while holding back the gagging, I discovered an item (completely unidentifiable at this point) in the plastic bag which I brought it home from the store in had actually gotten to the point of liquifying! I cannot even describe to you the putrid smell from the decaying vegetable corpse that soaked into a spot in the cupboard. How does a person, two people nonetheless, not notice something like that before it gets to that state?!

While I do hope to bring greater organization to our apartment, I accept with humility that I do not now nor will I ever have everything "under control." In fact, at the current time, I have a very pungent odor emphasizing that point lest I forget. Anyone know of a way to get the smell of (*&$%) out of wood?

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Heehee! Things get to that state in my house all the time, especially in the vegetable drawers of the fridge. Thank goodness the cold fridge inhibits the development of the smell (or at least traps it).

As for the smell, I would probably try sprinkling baking soda on the stain and leaving it for a bit--say, 24 hours--and then sweeping it up. I can't say for sure that it will work, but it's a good bet. If that doesn't work, come borrow the gigantic can of Lysol I have to spray the stink out of the diaper pail. :-)

I am also inspired to organize and clean now that someone came to help us jumpstart the process. Let me know if you need to make a trip to Ikea or somewhere to get organizing supplies--I would be glad to tag along!

rachel snowden said...

I'm afraid it's a bit beyond the baking soda stage! My mom suggested bleach water, so I'll let you know how that works out! :)

rachel snowden said...

I believe I have triumphed over the odor!!!
I did a couple rounds of bleach water, several rounds of a baking soda paste soaking on the spot, and a couple more of bleach water.
And, it seems I have emerged the victor! :)