Wednesday, August 15, 2007

My Language Barrier

So, I love different languages. Love learning them. Hate sounding stupid. I need to get over it and just try, practice it. I am so busy critiquing my abilities in the language that I withdraw from using it! How pointless does that make learning it!
One of my character flaws, perhaps one of my biggest lifelong struggles is perfectionism. I don't like to do things unless they are done well, nay perfectly! I know how utterly arrogant and ridiculous it is. Yet, it continues to block my path sometimes from just stepping out and taking a risk to do something that might not be perfect but would be so good for my growth and, ultimately, my life journey.
Anyway, I have only one more Hindi class left, and I really want to be able to use it to speak with my friends in India. So I just need to suck up my pride, be willing to sound like a 3-year-old for awhile, pray for a lot of grace (more from my self than from others as they tend to be pretty gracious already), and SPEAK some Hindi!

2 comments:

wyofaith said...

My method-
Learn the cusswords first, verbs last.

Unknown said...

wow, yeah... of course I totally relate! hopefully you can find some sympathetic listeners who won't laugh at you! some people in Mexico laughed at my spanish! thanks. talking to 3-year-olds helps. :-D