Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Summer Bucket List

I was planning to write something a bit deeper, like the thoughts and emotions that are rolling around inside my mind as I consider our upcoming visit to the States, but it's a low brain-power night, so I'll keep it lighter.
I know a lot of people make "bucket" lists, and I've seen a bunch of summer bucket lists lately, but I figured I'd go ahead and make one of our own.
We do have a trip planned for about a month back to the U.S., so it actually is something we're thinking about a lot--What are the things we really want to make sure to include in our time there?  As well as what are things we want to do here for the remainder of the summer time before we (and others) jump into school in the fall.

*  Catch fireflies.
I never expected to be able to do this here in Nepal.  I grew up doing this, but there never were any when we lived in Los Angeles, so it was kind of a fun surprise to realize they are here.  Well, I haven't really seen them in broad strokes, but there seem to be a few outside our friends' home.  We got to try it one evening, but there were only a few out, so we're hoping to get to do it again here and back in the Midwest when visiting my family.
*  Camp in the yard.
We actually just did this one a few days ago.  Well, we adjusted and decided to camp in our house!  Ok, I decided.  It's nearing monsoon season here, so it's pretty likely to get rained on.  Oh, yeah, and we don't actually have a tent!  So, bedroom camping it was.  It made Isaiah so thrilled that I promised him we would try it again this summer.

*  Play flashlight tag.
No real explanation needed on that one.  It's just fun.

*  Roast hot dogs and marshmallows.
My parents have a fire pit in their backyard, and if by some chance, we actually go the chance to catch a beach campfire while we're in LA, that would be super fun as well!

*  County fair!
I didn't know until recently that this would even be an option, but with a bit of shifting dates from original plans, we are going to be visiting my family during the time of the County Fair where I grew up (which is a short distance from where my parents live now).  This was a BIG part of my childhood, so I'm actually really excited about taking my kids.  It will be an interesting experience to share something that I grew up as a rural 4-H kid being a key point in the summer with a bunch of inner-city kids that my family works with now and my kids, who have never been to a county fair!  Good times!  Unless they have changed the schedule from when I was growing up (and John pointed out in a very mocking way that he couldn't really imagine a serious debate that would necessitate such a change), it should be the day of the cattle show.

*  Go to the beach!
We live in a land-locked country after being within a 10-minute drive from the Pacific Ocean for many years, so we are very much looking forward to a little beach time while we visit.  It's kind of funny to think have infrequently we actually went to the beach when we actually lived there, and now, being far away from the load of stuff necessary to take with little ones, hassling for parking at the local beaches, and then loading of wet and sandy kids back into a vehicle, it seems like such a simple and fun day!  :)

*  Go to McDonald's.
This is primarily on the list for half of my family.  Zeke likes to talk about it because Isaiah talks about it a lot, but when we went in Thailand, he actually asked for rice and barely ate his burger!  But, it is seriously one of the main things Isaiah talks about anytime we bring up visiting America.  So, we'll have to do it!  Probably many times.

*  FOOD!
Ok, really, this deserves its very own list!  Let's start with things we can do here.  I am determined to make a lot of popsicles and smoothies this summer, especially since there is an increase in fruit available right now.
As far as our visit to the State, I really do enjoy the food here, but there are definite things that I get excited about when I think of being able to eat them!
Mexican food--real, authentic stuff!
Ice cream
Cheese
Milk
Really, dairy should probably have its own list as well. :)
Blueberries
Mini donuts at Venice Beach
Panera mac'n'cheese (for Isaiah)
salads (which will also help balance out the dairy!)
Chicago-style pizza
Ironically, I feel excited to visit the Nepali restaurant that we used to go to in LA, though I'm embarrassed to show how little of the language I've learned in our time here!
Chick-fil-A
Avocados from California
Auntie Anne's pretzels
good Udon noodles
Ok, I'm going to stop now before I eat my arm.  Suffice it to say, there will be a lot of food involved.

*  Visit the Museum of Natural History.
Isaiah really loved it when we lived in Los Angeles.  We might have to try our luck and squeeze in the Science Center the same day, which is right next to it and a great museum with a fun aquarium area in the Ecosystems exhibit.

*  Go swimming.
We can do this BOTH here and there!  Barring rain in the morning, we are planning to go tomorrow morning.  It will be the first time I've taken the boys here, so we're looking forward to it.

*  See fireworks.
Not sure how feasible this is.  We'll be here for the 4th of July.  Do they do fireworks here?  I'll have to find out.  Maybe we can get in on some leftovers once we hit the States.

*  Spend time with a LOT of people!
This might be the only time you will hear this introvert say that!  But, there are a lot of people we are missing and excited to see when we visit the States, and there are some good friends here in Nepal that are only here near us for a season or are leaving soon for a year or are just a bit less busy than they were this past season, and we want to have time to just spend with them!  Our time in the States will likely feel a little crammed, so we just want to make sure to soak up time with family and good friends!

I'm sure there are other things we want to and will do, especially since we're still thinking about what we want to make sure to hit in our trip to the States, but that's my start at least for some highlights to aim to hit this summer!


3 comments:

Gary and Gwen said...

Fireworks will be shown after the Railcats game on Friday August 2. Fireworks every Friday there is a home game.

I think we can help with much of your bucket list. We will love having you here.

Gary and Gwen said...

PS They sell fireworks in "the hood" all summer!

rachel snowden said...

Ha, nice!