Friday, October 5, 2007

Already-Not Yet

So, as many people know, I recently joined the masters program John has been a part of this past year. If you have to see me or talk to me, I'm sure you'll be hearing a lot more about it, as I am finding myself really blown away by this stuff! I can understand why John's been so uncontrollably excited about it all, and I find myself unable to even truly express much of it yet. Some of it seems so foundational that I am shocked at how profound and revelational it seems to me! It brings framework for so much! I mean, I've always thought of myself as having a decent grasp on and well-thought through theology, but this is HUGE! Of course, I've always believed in the Trinity, but understanding that deeply and the significance of that as a foundation to all--Wow! And kingdom theology. Truly just consuming everything in me right now as I read and process it. We have a class focused on healing this weekend, and I feel such anticipation for it! There is no way to really talk about healing without kingdom theology.

Still very fresh as I'm just now reading some amazing books on it, but really truly digging into the truth that the kingdom of God has come, is here, and is yet to come is really just grabbing hold of me! There aren't multitudes of phases of history. There are two: the present age and the age to come. And, the age to come is already here, but not in its full consummation as the present age has not yet been fully destroyed. So, we live in the tension of the already and not yet. The kingdom is already here and it is yet to come. Seriously, amazing!

Salvation itself is so much more than we often make it; it is no merely a future condition or destination for our souls. For the Hebrews, salvation was a far more holistic concept. Jesus through his ministry on earth, death on the cross, resurrection, and sending the Holy Spirit at Pentecost established victory over and freedom from every device of the enemy and the powers by which he rules this age!!! AND, He continues to redeem fully all that is lost by the power of the Holy Spirit in our lives and in the world. And, all will reach ultimate salvation and resurrection at the final consummation of the kingdom.

"We are here, almost here, delayed, future people. We are saved, being saved, and will be saved. We are holy, being made holy and will be holy. We live between the times. We are already-not yet people…We are becoming what we already are." Derek Morphew

If anyone is reading this and wants to dig into more of what in the world I'm talking about, you just have to read Breakthrough by Derek Morphew and more specifically focusing on a kingdom theology as it relates to healing, Authority to Heal by Ken Blue.

8 comments:

Naresh said...

Hey, Welcome to the club...My name is Naresh, I am writing from a village in Tamilnadu, Souuth India. I heard abount the 'now and the not yet' a few years back, but it did blow me away when I came across Derek Morphew's stuff a year ago. I have downloaded his conference speech on the subject and also the powerpoints he used....I felt like I stubled upon treasure. It sure is treasure. I have hardly been able to sleep since then. Kingdom it is...in our midst....right now. I feel the same way you guys feel....Let me know if you need that mp3 and the ppt if you do not have it already.

rachel snowden said...

I actually just went to a class Derek taught this weekend! It was so fantastic to hear him! Really powerful stuff! I feel like I just can't contain myself!
By the way, if you come back to my blog, where are you in Tamilnadu? I will actually be visiting Chennai in January for a Vineyard conference!

Hayashi Family said...

Rachel!
good to hear from you!

are you still teaching? what's going on? We've been in Vancouver for the past 5 years... I'm going to Regent College and working part-time
Charity's working as mom extraordinaire...

Jennifer said...

Whaaa? Sometimes I feel so lost when I read about this heavy-duty Kingdom and Trinity stuff. I actually skimmed through part of your entry, just because I was sure I would not get it. I was raised in such a different tradition. "Just pray and read the Bible." If it's not in there as clear as day, I miss it, even though I have read the Bible through several times. I even went to a Baptist college! I was, however, blown away recently by my realization that when Jesus is talking smack to the Pharisees and calling them "sons of the devil" how personal that must have been for him. I mean, he KNEW the devil. He was there at the Fall--the saw it all, and could see how the Pharisees were misleading people in the same way. He must have been soooooo P.O.'d. Probably a silly revelation to you who are so versed in this stuff, but I was pretty blown away.

Jennifer said...

P.S. Glad your weekend seminar went well, though! ;-)

wyofaith said...

Rachel!
Blog!!
We are reading!!
PS-does Derek have a website?

rachel snowden said...

Here's a link to one of Derek's articles:
http://nextreformation.com/wp-admin/general/kingdom2.htm

I know I've been very remiss in blogging. I'll get back on it when my parents' visit is over.

Paul Garrett del Río said...

Naresh,

If you still have the mp3 and PPT, I'm interested. I am a pastor in Costa Rica, Central America,

paul @ iglesiaunion.net

Thanks,