Saturday, September 15, 2007

Back Home Again in Indiana

Ok, so I guess that only stirs memories of the song if you actually were from Indiana! If you just can't contain your curiosity, you can read about the song at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_Home_Again_in_Indiana

Anyway, the 2nd verse is this:
Fancy paints on mem'ry's canvas
Scenes that we hold dear
We recall them in days after
Clearly they appear
And often times I see
A scene that's dear to me

I am here in Indiana for a few short days and was in Iowa for a couple to visit my grandparents. I spent Wednesday with my mom's dad and his wife Vera on their farm, and I spent yesterday with dad's parents in the Mennonite/Amish hub of Kalona, Iowa.

I've just been really struck lately by how unbelievably blessed I am! I have generations of family that I have known who have faithfully served their Lord with their lives. I've been feeling especially nostalgic lately and seeing scenes as memories that are so dear to me. Being on my grandpa's farm which is quite close to where I grew up and where I spent many childhood days brought back floods of wonderful memories--seeing animals born, getting to bottle-feed baby lambs, riding the 3-wheeler, learning to drive, playing croquet and badmitton in the yard, swimming in the pool, "helping" grandpa fix things in the machine shed, corn day--the list goes on and on. My dad's parents don't live in the same place they did when I was a child, but the memories are still there as well. My family isn't perfect, but I had a happy childhood, and I still have an amazing heritage. I'm realizing how rare that is!

I have been really longing to connect with my heritage lately. Los Angeles is a place with very few roots. I am happy there, but I want to remember the groundedness that is connected to where I come from. Maybe I'll make some jam or finally finish the first quilt I started or have a hymn sing or who knows what else. These things don't embody the depth of love and faith that I grew up with and long to keep with me, but they remind me. And that is precious to me. Remembering nurtures gratitude in my heart. Gives me perspective and courage in the midst of a momentary culture. Fills me with a desire to pass on the hope that community and family can exist in a loving and beautiful (even when not perfect) way. Nourishes my soul.

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am so down with a hymn sing--not to mention that I need to help you finish up that quilt! I wonder if the hymns you know are the same as the hymns I know?

rachel snowden said...

We should compare hymns! And yes, we do need to finish the quilt! Poor Arisha will be a toddler before we get it to her! :)

Gary and Gwen said...

As Rachel's Mom, I have hesitated to comment on her blog, but the mention of hymns between Jen and Rachel has spurred me to add that while as a "cutting edge old hippie" (funny what we belive about ourselves)I have been all about worship music, God many years ago used the song Count Your Blessings to change my life. He brought it to me during a harsh time and in a powerful way. (You can ask Rach for the story if you like.) Thus was born our annual Thanksgiving list. God is still working on me, rather intensely at the moment, regarding having a grateful heart and spirit. I hope this generation will have solid things to connect to. I pray those of us of faith are putting them in place.

wyofaith said...

Overcome by nostalgia- you're preggo aren't you?????

rachel snowden said...

It's a good thing not too many people read my blog, or I'd have all kinds of rumors flying! :) No, not pregnant. Just nostalgic. :)